1. To find out the level of competencies of educational managers of secondary schools.
2. To study the effect of personal variables like age, gender, experience, and qualifications on the competencies of educational managers.
3. To study the factors acting as barriers on the effectiveness of educational managers.
4. To conduct case studies to selected effective educational managers of secondary schools in order to find out the reasons for their effectiveness.
Using random sampling technique 40 schools consisting of English, Gujarati and Hindi medium were selected . They were under different management types. It also consisted of 6-10 teachers from the secondary section of each secondary school. The case study schools consisted of a sample of four effective school Principals selected from amongst the above 40 Principals, 4 students from the Student Council, 4 Parents from the PTA,
and 4 Secondary School Teachers.
1. A Managerial Effectiveness Scale was developed to measure the level of competencies of secondary school Principals.
2. Personal Data Questionnaire was constructed to collect personal information about the Principals.
3. An un-structures interview schedule was developed to find out the barriers faced by secondary school Principals.
4. A school profile was developed to collect basic data about the schools.
5. A semi-structured interview schedule was developed for effective Principals, Teachers, Students and Parents.
6. Shadowing and Observation techniques were used for shadow of Principals in their work places.
7. Documentary analysis was done which basically consisted of official and semi official data.method???The level of competencies of 40 Secondary School Principals of Baroda city was found by computing mean scores of teacher’s perceptions about them and the Principal’s own perception in the 8 competency areas. Mean and Chi-Square were used to find out the effect of personal variables on the competencies of school educational managers. Content
analysis was done to find out the barriers faced by the school Principals.
1. The effectiveness has not been found affected significantly by personal variables.
2. The Principals have been found facing barriers in different functional areas.
3. Many educational managers have been found performing effectively.
4. If training is imparted to educational managers, it would go a long way in strengthening the school system.
Keyword(s): Managerial , Effective, Educational Managers, Competencies , Management of Education